Sunday 17 May 2020

A New Venture - Abscission

After a while of moving between different writing projects (including some scenarios and campaigns for Call of Cthulhu, which may or may not see some form of publication) I have found myself doing something that I always wanted to do...



I'm making a point and click adventure game!

The first game I can remember playing as a kid was Monkey Island 2, on 14 or so floppy disks, on an Amiga at some weird kid's house (I can't remember him, but I can remember the game). It gave me the adventure game bug and I have played them all my life.

I'm using Adventure Game Studio to create it, a fantastic piece of FREE software (available here) that (unknown to me until a couple of weeks ago) sits behind some fantastic games (such as Technobabylon - available here at Steam). It has a pretty steep learning curve, especially since I have never really created any pixel art or done any programming, but I'm enjoying the challenge.


Abscission is a horror mystery at heart, telling the story of Detective Bill Stanhope, as he investigates the murder of Serina Challinor.


It's a relatively mature affair, so will probably be 16+ or 18+ in the end.


As it stands, the plot is fully outlined (though subject to change as I add more creepiness) and I have some rather ambitious ideas for story progression and a journal system, which may or may not happen depending on my ability to work out coding.


Anyway,  will post more as it develops. I have no idea how I will release it in the future, but it will be released, somehow, like an odd pixelated kraken.




No comments:

Post a Comment